Up to 70% of recreational and competitive runners sustain overuse injuries in any 12 month period. As the name suggests overuse injuries build up over time due to a number of factors. These include poor biomechanics, increasing training load too quickly, the surfaces you run on, and incorrect footwear.
As with any injury there are two things we want to achieve:
1. Reduction in pain, and restore function
2. Address the factors that caused the overuse injury to reduce the chance of the injury returning.
At Willoughby Chiropractic we believe a thorough approach is required to resolve running injuries and prevent them in the future. Our approach includes:
1. Assessment and diagnosis of your injury
2. Video analysis of your running technique
3. Manual therapy to provide pain relief. This includes muscles releases, manipulation, stretching and massage.
4. Specific exercises to address any weakness or lack of movement that has contributed to your injury. We begin with exercises to reduce pain, then progress to improving mobility, stability, and strength. We aim to improve your muscle firing patterns, so running becomes more efficient, and less likely to cause injury.
5. Running technique workshop. We can show you how to implement simple changes to your technique to improve efficiency, leading to increased performance and decreased injury risk.